Hurt in an Accident? Not Sure How to Speak with the Insurance Company? Contact a Laurel Personal Injury Lawyer
Suffering injuries in an accident is always a traumatic experience no matter who you are or how your accident occurred. The experience can be even more traumatic if your injuries prevent you from working or otherwise engaging in your everyday activities. But pursuing legal action against the person reasonable for your accident can be confusing and intimidating, particularly for individuals who have little to no experience with the legal system. Fortunately, personal injury attorneys are there to advocate for your interests, help you navigate the legal process, and obtain recovery for your injuries. If you have suffered injuries in an accident, please contact a Laurel personal injury lawyer.
What is a Personal Injury Claim in Maryland?
How Personal Injury Lawyers Help Injured Individuals in Maryland
Personal injury lawyers wear many different hats, but they are always motivated by a desire to diligently and vigorously advocate for their clients’ interests. This includes:
- Evaluating the facts of their clients’ cases to determine whether they are strong enough to pursue legal action
- Investigating the circumstances that gave rise to their clients’ accidents, often with the assistance of professional investigators
- Assessing and valuing their clients’ damages (i.e., loss of earnings, loss of future earnings, medical bills, pain and suffering, loss of consortium, etc.)
- Obtaining evidence and interviewing witnesses
- Filing motions on their clients’ behalf and ensuring that all deadlines are met (including complying with any relevant statutes of limitations)
- Negotiating with insurance companies and with the other side’s attorneys
- Representing their clients in court by presenting evidence, examining and cross-examining witnesses, and lodging objections to potentially damaging maneuvers by the other side
- Appealing adverse rulings (if necessary)
Above all, a knowledgeable Laurel personal injury lawyer is experienced in both the law and the procedures that govern their clients’ cases, which are often complex and confusing to the average person.
When Should I Call a Personal Injury Lawyer?
It is not strictly necessary to hire an attorney after an accident, even if you plan on pursuing a claim against the at-fault party. However, there are several situations in which hiring a personal injury is highly advisable, particularly if you suffered severe or debilitating injuries. Contacting a law firm is generally a good idea when:
- You suffered severe or debilitating injuries that will significantly affect your quality of life
- You are facing extensive medical bills
- You have lost wages or are unable to return to work after your accident
- You are facing pressure to settle quickly from insurance companies
- Your case presents complex issues of liability
Is There a Minimum Personal Injury Settlement Amount?
No, there is no minimum personal injury settlement amount. If you do not present your claim effectively, you will not receive any compensation for your injuries. It is up to you to make sure that you seek just compensation for your financial and non-financial losses. The insurance company will not calculate your losses for you, and it will fight your claim by all means available.
Do You Have to Pay Tax on Your Personal Injury Settlement?
You may have to pay tax on a portion of your personal injury settlement. As a general rule, personal injury settlements are exempt from taxation. However, there are some exceptions, and your injury attorney will be able to help you understand how much tax (if any) you will have to pay if you accept a settlement.
Contact a Laurel Personal Injury Lawyer if You Have Suffered Injuries in an Accident
If you have been injured in an accident — whether it was a car accident, truck accident, motorcycle accident, dog bite or slip and fall — you may be able to recover for your losses through a personal injury action. Our attorneys do more than just accidents, too: we also accept medical malpractice claims such as birth injuries (like cerebral palsy) and more. For more information about our services, please contact a Laurel personal injury lawyer at the Law Offices of Thomas E. Pyles by calling 301-723-7076 or filling out our online form.