Let a Leonardtown Personal Injury Attorney Help You
If you’ve recently been injured in an accident, you probably have a lot of questions on your mind. You may be wondering what your injuries mean for your future, whether and when you will be able to return to work, and how you will pay for the damage, among many others. Recovering after an accident — especially if you plan to pursue legal action against the responsible party — can be incredibly confusing and intimidating. That’s where personal injury attorneys come into play. Below we will explain what personal injury attorneys do and how to decide if you need to hire one. For more information, please contact a Leonardtown personal injury attorney.
A Leonardtown Personal Injury Attorney That Handles All Types of Personal Injury Claims
Personal injury is an area of the law that includes more than just car accidents. It involves every type of case where someone suffers an injury as a result of someone else’s negligence. If you have been injured and believe someone else is responsible, you need a Leonardtown personal injury attorney with experience in handling all types of personal injury claims.
For most law firms, the most common personal injury claims include:
- Car accidents
- Truck accidents
- Bus accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Wrongful death claims
- Medical malpractice claims
- Nursing home abuse and neglect cases
- Dog bites and animal attacks
- Dangerous or defective products
Our Leonardtown personal injury attorneys handle all of those claims with skill and expertise. We pride ourselves on the ability to handle the “common” claims, as well as those that require aggressive and devoted attention.
Child Injuries in Maryland
Cases involving injuries to children require special handling – while they are just as likely to be injured in car accidents, medical malpractice, or as a result of defective products, there are unique circumstances that need to be taken into account. For example, cases that involve injuries to children raise the following questions:
- Will the injury become a lifelong disability?
- How will the injury affect their growth and development?
- Will the injury prevent them from playing youth sports or engaging in other activities?
- Will the injury result in a loss of scholarship or employment opportunities?
- Was the injury the result of inadequate supervision at a school or other facility?
The answer to these questions and others can have a significant impact on the value of your claim. If your child has suffered a serious injury, a Leonardtown personal injury attorney can evaluate your case and make sure your child receives fair compensation for their injuries.
Maryland Premises Liability Cases
The term “premises liability” refers to a property owner’s legal duty to ensure that their property is safe for guests and other visitors. Property owners can be held liable for foreseeable injuries caused by negligent maintenance, failure to warn guests of known hazards, or failing to routinely inspect their property for hazards. Some common examples of where a property owner may be held liable are as follows:
- Inadequate security measures
- Inadequate or improperly trained security personnel
- Injuries resulting from failing to comply with fire and occupancy codes
- Burns or electrocutions due to negligent maintenance
Premises liability cases arise almost anywhere – hotels, restaurants, entertainment venues, office buildings, or private property. If you have been injured on someone else’s property, a Leonardtown personal injury attorney can help you hold the property owner accountable.
Slip and Fall Accidents
Slip and fall accidents are a type of premises liability case. However, they deserve specific consideration in light of how common they are. A slip and fall case is one where someone is injured when they slip, trip, or fall on someone else’s property. Common causes of slip and fall accidents are as follows:
- Torn or loose carpeting
- Icy parking lots, sidewalks, and stairs
- Broken flooring
- Cracked or broken pavement
- Poor lighting
- Wet floors
- Loose, broken, or missing handrails
- Poorly maintained or malfunctioning elevators and escalators
Property owners can be held responsible for slip and fall accidents if they knew or should have known about the hazard that caused your injury. This can be difficult to prove. An experienced Leonardtown personal injury attorney will be able to identify the relevant facts and gather the evidence you need to get the compensation you deserve.
How Do I Know if I Have a Personal Injury Claim?
To determine if you have a personal injury claim, you will need to sit down and discuss the facts of your case with an attorney. While it may be possible to provide an initial assessment of your legal rights during your free initial consultation, your attorney may also need to gather additional evidence to evaluate your legal rights.
What Should I Do if I Think I Have a Personal Injury Claim?
If you think you may have a personal injury claim, your priority should be to see a doctor (if you haven’t already). If you have already seen a doctor, your next step is to schedule a free consultation with a Waldorf personal injury lawyer.
Do I Need a Leonardtown Personal Injury Lawyer to File a Claim?
Technically, you do not need a lawyer to file a personal injury claim. You can deal with the insurance companies on your own, and you can represent yourself in court if necessary. But, is this your best option? Absolutely not. A lawyer can help with all aspects of your claim, and hiring an experienced Waldorf personal injury lawyer is your best option for maximizing your financial recovery.
What to Expect When You Meet with an Injury Law Firm
Personal injury attorneys advocate on behalf of their clients by proving fault and obtaining compensation from the at-fault party. As simple as that sounds, it can actually be incredibly complex and involves many different types of advocacy. Some of the services personal injury attorneys provide for their clients include:
- Evaluating their case: At the first stage, a personal injury attorney can help you determine whether you may be able to pursue legal action against another party by going over the facts and evaluating their legal strength.
- Performing an investigation: Evidence is required to succeed on a personal injury claim; personal injury attorneys have access to professional investigators (such as accident reconstruction experts) who can gather the most advantageous evidence for your case.
- Assessing and valuing damages: There are many types of damages available in the legal system about which the average person may be unaware, such as non-monetary damages like pain and suffering, loss of consortium, and loss of enjoyment of life. A personal injury attorney can help you assess the extent of your damages and calculate a dollar amount that will ensure full recovery.
- Negotiating with the other side: Most personal injury claims do not make it to the courtroom; rather, they are resolved through settlement. A personal injury attorney can represent you in negotiations with the other side to obtain the best deal possible.
- Representing you in court: If your case does go to trial, a personal injury attorney will advocate on your behalf by filing motions (requests that the court take a certain action that is beneficial to you), making opening and closing statements, presenting evidence, and examining and cross-examining witnesses.
More generally, personal injury attorneys are experts in the law and procedures that will govern your claim, which are often confusing and complex to the average person. While it is not necessary to hire a Leonardtown personal injury attorney to pursue a claim, doing so can significantly increase your chances of winning.
How Much Does a Personal Injury Lawyer Cost in Maryland?
Many accident attorneys also work on a contingency fee basis, meaning that you do not pay for their services unless you obtain recovery. As such, hiring an attorney for a personal injury matter usually is in the client’s best legal and financial interests.
Basically, you pay no money up front. In fact, if there is no recovery there is no fee. If there is a settlement, our law firm charge 1/3 of whatever the settlement is and if we file suit, we charge 40%. There is an increase simply because we have additional staff that we employ to help handle the litigation which is always more expensive.
As far as costs, my firm advances all the costs. The client is ultimately responsible for the cost that comes from the settlement or verdict. In district court cases this is usually a small amount, however once suit is filed the costs do increase, especially if you have a circuit court case. We usually advance costs of experts, which is why you want to hire a personal injury attorney because we have the resources to pay for the costs up front.
Contact a Leonardtown Personal Injury Attorney
If you have been injured in an accident, you may be entitled to recover compensation through a personal injury action. To speak to an experienced legal team, please contact a Leonardtown personal injury attorney at the Law Offices of Thomas E. Pyles by calling 301-475-0101 or filling out our online form.