MARYLAND GUN CRIME LAWYER
It seems that whenever you turn on the news or read the paper, all you hear about is violence which has become widespread. You hear about the use of handguns and assault weapons in commission of these violent offenses. Maryland’s gun laws are some of the strictest in the nation. Gun charges in Maryland can have severe consequences if you find yourself on the wrong side. The penalties can be increased depending on your previous criminal record, the location of the crime and the types of firearms used. If you have been arrested for a misdemeanor or felony weapons charge, you could be facing substantial fines and years of imprisonment. It is very important that you obtain legal representation from an experienced Maryland gun crimes lawyer as soon as possible.
If you have been arrested on gun charges in Maryland, contact the Law Office of Thomas E. Pyles, P.A. for your free consultation.
Common Gun Crime Charges
Some of the more common gun charges that we see are:
- Use of a weapon in a school zone – Using or possessing a weapon on school grounds is punishable by up to five years in prison.
- Unlawful possession of a firearm – A convicted felon or drug user may not possess guns or ammunition of any kind. An unlawful possession of a firearm charge can result in prison time of up to ten years. Those with three or more felony convictions face a mandatory minimum prison sentence of fifteen years.
- Possession of an unregistered firearm – possessing any destructive device, including a machine gun, sawed off shot gun, sawed off rifle, or silencer, can result in ten years in prison without parole.
Know your Legal Options
- If you are arrested on gun charges in Maryland there are several defenses you can consider. Some of those defenses include:
- Constructive possession – an experienced attorney can argue that the weapon was not directly under your control. If the weapon was found nearby, but not in your direct possession, this can viable defense.
- Illegal search – If the police found a firearm during an unlawful search your case could be dismissed. Our firm will determine if you experienced an unconstitutional search and work to get your charges dropped.
Contact the Law Office of Thomas E. Pyles, P.A. if you or a loved one are facing gun charges in Maryland. Our firm can help you and will aggressively defend your gun charges to prevent you from spending years in prison and hefty fines. We are knowledgeable in Maryland handgun laws and have the expertise and experience to win your case. Contact us today at 301-705-5006 to schedule your free consultation.