Laurel Birth Injury Attorney Serving Maryland
Birth injuries are among the most common types of medical malpractice cases that arise and they can have a profound effect on your child’s life. Such injuries can require extensive surgeries, physical therapy and long-term care. If your child has sustained a birth injury due to medical malpractice, you may be entitled to compensation. Contact a Laurel birth injury attorney at the Law Offices of Thomas E. Pyles, P.A. for a free consultation today.
Was Your Child Injured at Birth?
A birth injury occurs when the child is harmed when moving through the birth canal as a result of physical pressure caused during the birthing process. Some birth injuries are unavoidable and are the result of genetics, the baby’s position in the womb or other circumstances beyond your doctor’s control. However, birth injuries are often the result of medical malpractice on behalf of the doctor or other health care personnel. If you suspect that your child was injured during birth, one of our experienced attorneys can evaluate your case.
Common Birth Injuries Our Laurel Birth Injury Attorney Handles
Statistics regarding birth injuries are hard to come by, but some reports indicate as many 7 birth injuries occur for every 1,000 live births in America. Regardless of the reliability of these statistics, birth injuries are unfortunately very real. Below are the most common birth injuries that can occur:
- Birth Asphyxia: This occurs when the baby is deprived of oxygen during labor and delivery, resulting in brain damage.
- Spinal Cord Injuries: Excessive force can result in injury to the baby’s spinal column which can lead to paralysis.
- Facial Paralysis: Nerves in the baby’s face can also be damaged as a result of pressure, leading to paralysis of the facial muscles.
- Bone Fractures: Due to difficulties in delivering the baby’s shoulder, fractures to the collarbone are common.
- Cephalohematoma: When blood vessels on the head of the baby are broken during birth, blood collects beneath the cranial bone.
- Erb’s Palsy: Paralysis of the arm and/or hand can occur if the group of nerves in the shoulder are injured during birth.
- Cerebral Palsy: Believed to be caused by the use of forceps during birth, this is the result of damage to the nervous system, affecting the brain’s ability to communicate with the rest of the body.
Were the Birth Injuries Caused by Medical Malpractice?
As noted above, many birth injuries are the result of medical malpractice that stems from when doctors or other medical staff members are negligent. In the context of medical malpractice, negligence occurs when health care professionals fail to act in accordance with accepted standards of practice for labor and delivery, or they otherwise fail to act with due care. Most birth injuries that are caused by malpractice are the result of the following:
- Failing to adequately monitor labor and delivery
- Allowing labor and delivery to continue for an excessive period of time
- Improper use of forceps, vacuum extractors or other birthing devices
Unfortunately, birth injury cases are very difficult for non-lawyers to pursue. However, a skilled Laurel birth injury attorney can demonstrate that the hospital or doctor failed to meet the applicable standard of care that directly caused your child’s birth injury.
Contact a Laurel Birth Injury Attorney Today
If you suspect that your child has been injured as the result of a birth injury, you should speak with an experienced Laurel birth injury lawyer right away. At the Law Offices of Thomas E. Pyles, P.A., we provide our clients with tireless and aggressive legal representation to get them the compensation they need. Call us at 301-705-5006 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation today. We have offices in Waldorf, Leonardtown and Laurel.