Medical Malpractice is More Common Than You Think
Thomas Pyles | June 2, 2021
When you discuss medical malpractice, most people immediately think of something like a surgical error or birth injury. However, medical malpractice is much more common than many people realize. Medical malpractice arguably occurs any time a doctor, hospital, or other medical professional fails to provide care that is consistent with the recognized standard of care. One of the most common examples of medical malpractice is medication errors. If you believe you have suffered harm due to a medication error, a Leonardtown medical malpractice attorney can evaluate your case and help you decide what steps you should take.
Causes of Medication Errors
Medication errors can occur for a variety of reasons, and every case is unique. That said, in our experience, many of these errors can be traced back to the same handful of causes. Some of the most common causes of medication errors are the following:
- The physician failed to review the patient’s medical records thoroughly
- The physician writing the prescription lacked the proper training
- The physician did not carefully review the potential side effects of the drug
- The pharmacy lacked controls and protocols to ensure that the correct medication was administered to the right person
- The physician neglected to disclose potential side effects to the patient or provide clear instructions regarding dosage
Of course, some mistakes may be outside of your doctor’s or the pharmacy’s control. For example, it may be that the medication is simply unsafe, but the pharmaceutical company has deliberately tried to hide the evidence. An experienced Leonardtown medical malpractice attorney can review your case and determine whether your medication error qualifies as medical malpractice.
Common Medication Errors
Many medication errors are the result of simple negligence. The doctor or pharmacist became distracted or simply failed to take the time to perform their job thoroughly. However, even minor mistakes can result in serious harm to patients when it comes to medication. Some of the most common medication errors that can lead to serious harm are as follows:
- Prescribing the wrong dosage
- Prescribing a medication that reacts negatively with medication that the patient is already taking
- Overprescribing medications that lead to addiction or harm to the patient’s organs, such as the liver or kidneys
- Prescribing the wrong drug to a patient
- Failure to explain the potential risks associated with the drug to the patient
Medication errors can result in serious harm such as organ damage, uncontrolled hemorrhaging, or loss of consciousness. If you have suffered health complications as a result of a medication error, a Leonardtown medical malpractice attorney can help you get the compensation you need.
Call Today to Speak with a Leonardtown Medical Malpractice Attorney
Leonardtown medical malpractice attorney has more than 25 years of experience helping Marylanders who have suffered due to medical malpractice. From medication errors to cerebral palsy, he knows how to get the compensation you deserve. To discuss your case and learn about your options, give us a call at 301-705-5006 or complete our online contact form to schedule a free consultation.