Why You Need a Laurel Car Accident Lawyer
Several busy and congested highways pass through or near Laurel, including Interstate 95 (one of the busiest roads in the nation), the Baltimore-Washington Parkway, and U.S. Route 1. Located near the center of the sprawling Baltimore-Washington metropolitan area — a region well-known for its traffic congestion — car accidents are simply a fact of life in Laurel. Car accidents often leas to injuries, which can significantly affect the lives of their victims. If you or someone you love has suffered an injury in a Maryland motor vehicle accident, please contact a Laurel car accident lawyer.
The Most Common Causes of Car Accidents
There are an almost limitless number of reasons why cars get into accidents, but some of the most common scenarios we see on a regular basis include:
- Speeding: Speeding increases the time it takes for a vehicle to come to a complete stop, which can often be too long to avoid striking another vehicle or nearby object.
- Distracted driving: Distracted driving occurs when a driver focuses on anything other than the task at hand (i.e., driving), and includes a wide range of behaviors such as texting, eating, smoking, applying makeup, adjusting the radio, looking at objects outside the car, and hunting for dropped objects.
- Reckless driving: Reckless driving generally refers to intentionally aggressive driving behaviors such as tailgating, running stop signs and lights, brake checking other vehicles, cutting other vehicles off, and driving on the wrong side of the road.
- Drunk driving: Driving under the influence of alcohol and drugs is extremely dangerous because use of these substances lowers their users’ inhibition, slows their reaction time, and makes it difficult for them to see clearly.
- Mechanical failure: Not all car accidents are the result of human error; occasionally mechanical failure, such as tire blowouts, brake failure, and car fires can also cause accidents.
When to Hire a Lawyer After a Car Accident in Maryland
You are not required to hire an accident law firm, and you may not need to, particularly if your accident was minor and did not involve serious injuries. However, if your accident more than a fender bender and your injuries or property damage are severe, you may be better off letting a Laurel car accident attorney handle the matter. Generally, you should consider hiring an attorney if one or more of the following are true:
- You suffered severe injuries
- You incurred expensive medical bills
- Your accident has kept you away from work and resulted in lost wages
- An insurance company is pressuring you to settle
- Your case presents complex issues of liability
You should also note that, if you are planning on challenging an insurance company, the company will almost certainly be represented by its own counsel who know how to reduce your compensation or deny your claim altogether.
Speak to a Laurel Car Accident Lawyer Today to Fight for Compensation
If you have suffered injuries in a car accident, you may be able to recover for your losses through a personal injury claim. To get started, please contact a Laurel car accident lawyer at the Law Offices of Thomas E. Pyles by calling 301-723-7076 or filling out our online form.